Tim was the middle child of 7. His father was an attorney and judge in Northwest Wisconsin and his mother an active community volunteer. This large family and committed parents shaped him to be who he is. Tim is an engaged volunteer and takes great pride in his community. Tim and his wife Stacey raised two children in New Richmond and now reside in Eau Claire Wisconsin. He loves watching live music, cooking and traveling. He also enjoys biking, hunting and fishing with friends and family.
Tim is one of the state’s most highly regarded trial attorneys. He helps individuals accused of serious crimes such as homicide, drug offenses and sexual assault. His civil practice centers on personal injury claims and business disputes. He is certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, has received the highest AV rating from Martindale Hubbell, and for 15 consecutive years has been recognized as among the top 5% of litigators in Wisconsin by Super Lawyers.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, JD
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, BA, Political Science
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Business Disputes
- Emma Hawke-James, Paralegal firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards, Honors And Professional Accomplishments
- Certified Civil Pretrial and Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers, selected 15 consecutive years
- AVVO Rating: 10 – “Superb”
- New Richmond Area Citizen of the Year
- Chair, Litigation Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, State Bar of Wisconsin
- President, New Richmond Area Chamber of Commerce
- President, Young Lawyers Division, State Bar of Wisconsin
- President, St. Croix Valley Bar Association
- Chair, New Richmond Area Community Foundation
- Fellow, Wisconsin Law Foundation
- Argued before the Wisconsin Supreme Court that the Election of Remedies Doctrine did not bar a second lawsuit for damages against a person who had first sued our client and lost. The Supreme Court reinstated the $774,000 judgment for our client.
- Together with other Bakke Norman attorneys, represented a bankruptcy estate on behalf of shareholders who claimed insiders had committed fraud and stolen the ideas and product of a start-up company. The three-week trial resulted in a favorable total verdict of more than $11 million.
- Successfully defended woman charged with shooting her husband; charges dismissed before trial.
- Obtained federal court jury verdict finding willful infringement of our client’s copyrighted work by the authors of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.
- Numerous not guilty trial verdicts on felony and misdemeanor cases, ranging from Sexual Assault, False Imprisonment, Strangulation and Battery to Failure to Comply with Officer’s Attempt to Take Person into Custody, Attempted Battery to a Police Officer, Operating While Intoxicated, Disorderly Conduct and DNR violations.
- Jury trial verdicts awarding substantial damages to plaintiffs on automobile accident and slip and fall cases.
- Federal court jury verdict awarding $500,000 in damages for wrongful termination.
- Verdict for our client against former vendor claiming over $1,000,000 in commissions and fees after our client had terminated the vendor for non-performance.
- Lecturer, “Murder, Madness and Mayhem: Defending the Impossible Case” Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Seminar.
- Lecturer, “Knowing and Using Local Court Rules” State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Convention.
- Lecturer, “Judges and Lawyers Take Off the Gloves” State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Convention.
- Moderator, “How to Impress or Annoy a Judge” State Bar of Wisconsin Litigation Institute.
- Presenter, “Becoming a Successful Leader” State Bar of Wisconsin Young Lawyers Division Leadership Seminar
- Lecturer, “Defining Implements of Husbandry and Farm Vehicles: Now That’s Clear as Manure” Breakfast with Bakke Norman.
- Lecturer, “Capturing the Flag: Finding the Glory in Your OWI Trial” Wisconsin State Public Defenders Conference.
- Lecturer, “Winning through Effective Legal Negotiations” State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar.
- Lecturer, “How to Find Out What Your Clients Really Think of You” State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar.
- Lecturer, “Effective Client Interview Skills” State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar.