Awards, Honors and Professional Accomplishments
- Certified Civil Pretrial and Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers, selected 13 times
- AVVO Rating: 10 – “Superb”
- New Richmond Area Citizen of the Year
- Chair, Litigation Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, State Bar of Wisconsin
- President, New Richmond Area Chamber of Commerce
- President, Young Lawyers Division, State Bar of Wisconsin
- President, St. Croix Valley Bar Association
- Chair, New Richmond Area Community Foundation
- Fellow, Wisconsin Law Foundation
- Argued before the Wisconsin Supreme Court that the Election of Remedies Doctrine did not bar a second lawsuit for damages against a person who had first sued our client and lost. The Supreme Court reinstated the $774,000 judgment for our client.
- Together with other Bakke Norman attorneys, represented a bankruptcy estate on behalf of shareholders who claimed insiders had committed fraud and stolen the ideas and product of a start-up company. The three-week trial resulted in a favorable total verdict of more than $11 million.
- Successfully defended woman charged with shooting her husband; charges dismissed before trial.
- Together with Pete Reinhardt, obtained federal court jury verdict finding willful infringement of our client’s copyrighted work by the authors of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.
- Numerous not guilty verdicts on felony and misdemeanor cases, including charges of Attempted Battery to a Police Officer, Sexual Assault, False Imprisonment, Failure to Comply with Officer’s Attempt to Take Person into Custody, Disorderly Conduct and Obstructing a Police Officer, Battery and Fleeing an Officer.
- Recent verdicts awarding substantial damages to plaintiffs on slip and fall and automobile accident cases.
- Together with Pete Reinhardt, obtained federal court jury verdict awarding $500,000 in damages for wrongful termination.
- Verdict for our client against former vendor claiming over $1,000,000 in commissions and fees after our client had terminated the vendor for non-performance.
NEWS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Lecturer, “Murder, Madness and Mayhem: Defending the Impossible Case” Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Seminar.
- Lecturer, “Knowing and Using Local Court Rules” State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Convention.
- Lecturer, “Judges and Lawyers Take Off the Gloves” State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Convention.
- Moderator, “How to Impress or Annoy a Judge” State Bar of Wisconsin Litigation Institute.
- Presenter, “Becoming a Successful Leader” State Bar of Wisconsin Young Lawyers Division Leadership Seminar
- Lecturer, “Defining Implements of Husbandry and Farm Vehicles: Now That’s Clear as Manure” Breakfast with Bakke Norman.
- Lecturer, “Capturing the Flag: Finding the Glory in Your OWI Trial” Wisconsin State Public Defenders Conference.
- Lecturer, “Winning through Effective Legal Negotiations” State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar.
- Lecturer, “How to Find Out What Your Clients Really Think of You” State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar.
- Lecturer, “Effective Client Interview Skills” State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar.